BBYC CENTREBOARD CADETS
“This is a fun focussed, intermediate level, sailing stage between the Learn to Sail & Centreboard Racing”
About: After graduating from Bucklands Beach Yacht Club Learn to Sail programme from Level 1 to Level 3, the sailors will
build upon all the basic and racing skills already acquired during the Level 1 to 3 courses and gain general confidence and
experience in sailing without any pressures.
The Centreboard Cadets will have the opportunity to spend half the days session developing their sailing skills with fun
water activities and games and potentially the other half with the BBYC Centreboard group on their race days.
Other sessions could include easy destination sails or get a chance to sail one of the other BBYC boats such as the RS Fevas,
O’pen Skiffs or the Keel Boat J24s to gain a wider sailing experience.
What happens after Centreboard Cadets?
Your young sailors can either decide to continue in the Young Cadets for the next season or they may like to become more
serious in racing and will be perfect time to join the Optimist Green Group at BBYC Centreboard Racing Group.
Pre-requirements: Have completed YNZ Level 1-3 or similar training at another Yacht Club
Conditions: to be a Member of Bucklands Beach Yacht Club – Membership form attached – Junior Membership is $95 per
Cost: $175 for 5 x 4 Hour Sessions
Sailing Gear: Own Optimist or Bic O’pen Skiff or (Rent a same type of yachts from the BBYC). Buoyancy Aids. Participants
are recommended to provide but are not mandatory: Wet Suit, Sailing, Shoes, Spray Jacket and Sailing Gloves.
• We have a fleet of six BBYC fibre glass racing optimists.
• These are much faster than the Plastic Optimists and are what the Green Fleet and Top Optimist sailors use.
• They can be hired and taken home or stored at the club (at an extra cost) on a 6 monthly bases at a rate of $250
for the 6 months.
• For the Cadets we can hire out for 2 months during this course at a cost of $40 for the 2 months.
• If you decide to continue beyond the 2-month Cadet offer, we can credit this amount against the 6 month Hire.
This offer will expire 8th May 2021.
15th November 2020 – 8.30am to 12.30pm
Final Session: 29th November 2020 – 8.30am to 12.30pm (Destination Sail)